Saturday, April 2, 2016

The day I told the taxi driver, "I love you." (Nathan)

It was our third day in Costa Rica, and we just finished shopping for groceries. As I had done a few times already, I hailed the taxi and asked him to take us to PatarrĂ¡. He nodded and so we piled into the car. However, he didn't quite understand what I said. So I looked him right in the eye and, in Spanish, stated, "I love you." And since he was giving me the "deer in the headlights look" I surmised that he didn't hear me, so I said, with more affection, and again in Spanish, "you are my love." It was at this point when Stacy, our primary translator, had finally gotten in her seat. So you can imagine her astonishment when she heard her husband communicate his affection to the taxi driver.

I'm sure you are wondering what it was I thought I said. Let me assure you that I am still trying to figure that out. I don't know what it is like for everyone else, but when put on the spot I have all these Spanish words running through my mind. Whatever word, or phrase, the needle is pointing to is what comes out of my mouth. Sometimes, it makes perfect sense and other times well; you get the picture.

Learning a new language is hard, but when adopting children from a different culture, it is necessary. One of the decisions we made early on in our adoption journey is that we want our girls to continue to speak their native language. We believe it is important that they never lose sight of who they are and where they are from. Keeping their native language is essential to who they are and who God created them to be. As they transition back into our home and North American culture, it is important that they can communicate with each other, us, and to God in their native language. Therefore, it is important that we learn their language just as much as they learn our language. We feel that this will create a unique bridge that will draw us closer together.

One is quickly humbled when learning a new language, i.e. my taxi story. However,  it is important to put yourself out there regardless of how silly or embarrassing it might be. I hope my new daughters understand this while they are learning English. Too many people are scared to try something new because they will mess up.

So when we bring "D" and "E" home, encourage them to speak in English. Offer them praise for doing something so brave. A few times on our Skype calls that have already shared several phrases in English. The fact that they are already trying brings tears to our eyes.

Check out Duolingo if you would like to learn a new language. It is free and can be downloaded on your mobile device or used in your web browser.

No comments:

Post a Comment