Monday, April 4, 2016

Our Costa Rican Church Experience (Aubry)

Worship service at Centro Christiana Esperanza Viva
Yesterday we had the awesome opportunity to go to a Spanish-speaking church. This wasn't our first time attending a Spanish-speaking church. We have also attended one in Alabama and one in Guatemala, but attending this church was an incredible experience. From the moment we walked into the church parking lot, we were welcomed. As we were walking up to the church, walking in, and finding our seats, everyone was full of smiles, and they were all talking and laughing with each other, it was a contagious happiness that filled the church.

The service started out with worship, just like most services. This worship was a little different than what I'm used to, though. The music was a very upbeat, with a pop kind of feel to it. Girls, from the dance team, were dancing in front of and on the stage waving flags. The people on and off the stage were jumping up and down praising the Lord, focusing on God.

After worship we had communion, and then the kids went off to our separate rooms. At first, Kayla and I didn't get up to leave because I was a little frightened to leave my parents, but after the youth pastor, Armando, asked us if we wanted to go with them, Kayla made me go. While we were walking in they were already introducing other guests from Columbia. As the youth group was asking them questions, I was kind of praying that we wouldn't have to be introduced like that because I don't know much Spanish. After they had been done, Armando asked if we wanted to go up there and of course, Kayla, being the go-getter that she is, agreed. Lucky for us, though, there were a few people who knew enough English to translate so I didn't have to make a fool out of myself. After they had asked us questions about ourselves, they all stood up to come welcome us (I have never been kissed on the cheek so many times in my life). It was different from any other youth group I've been to. The students did most of the leading. I have always seen the adults preach to the students, but from what I saw the students preach to the students. Which I thought was really neat!

1 comment:

  1. Awe so awesome!!! Dancing and pop music!?!? I would SO go this church!!

    ReplyDelete